Indian conglomerate company ITC’s proposed demerger and separate listing of its hotels business has reportedly elicited mixed views from three proxy advisory companies.  

Institutional Investor Advisory Services (IiAS) has recommended shareholders vote against the move while Stakeholders Empowerment Services (SES) and InGovern Research Services are in favour of the demerger. 

Financial Express (FE) cited a note from IiAS to its shareholders, which unveiled IiAS’ concerns that despite the demerger, ITC will retain a 40% stake in the hotels business, along with its existing 13.69% and 7.58% holdings in EIH and HLV, respectively.

This suggests that shareholders will not be able to fully exit the hotel sector.  

IiAS also noted that ITC might continue to provide capital support to the hotel business as a promoter.

The board has not clarified its long-term intentions for the 40% holding in the hotel business, the note said.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

On the other hand, SES has no issues with the valuations of ITC Hotels and InGovern has endorsed the demerger, highlighting the maturity of the hotel business and its readiness to operate independently.

They believe the move will unlock value and allow the business to manage its own capital and growth trajectory.

Last year, ITC’s board approved the demerger, which is expected to be finalised within the calendar year.

The National Company Law Tribunal recently directed ITC to seek shareholder approval on 6 June.  

According to the proposed demerger transaction, shareholders are set to receive one share in the hotel business for every ten shares of ITC held, with no cash consideration expected to be paid.  

ITC will retain a 40% stake post-demerger while the remaining 60% will be held by the company’s shareholders concerning their ownership in the parent entity. 

Separately, ITC’s Hotel Group has launched a new Mementos by ITC Hotels property, spanning over eight acres and features 64 suites and villas in its first phase, in Jaipur, India, has reported.

This marks ITC’s second Mementos property in India, with the first opening in Udaipur in March last year

The Jaipur location joins the group’s managed portfolio, which includes 14 properties across Rajasthan, with more planned.