Total tourism & leisure industry deals worth $3.4bn were announced globally for August 2021, with the $2.7bn acquisition of Apple Leisure Group being the sector’s biggest investment, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the image source into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 13.2% over the previous month of $3.86bn and a drop of 30.2% when compared with the last 12-month average of $4.8bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a drop of 23.33% with 46 deals in August 2021 when compared to the last 12-month average of 60 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $2.96bn in August 2021.
tourism & leisure industry deals in August 2021: Top deals
The top five deals accounted for 94.7% of the overall value during August 2021.
The combined value of the top five deals stood at $3.17bn, against the overall value of $3.4bn recorded for the month.
The top five tourism & leisure industry deals of August 2021 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Hyatt Hotels $2.7bn acquisition deal with Apple Leisure Group
2) The $211m private equity of Apple Hospitality REIT by Flynn Properties and Varde Partners
3) John Textor $121.14m acquisition deal with Crystal Palace Football Club
4) The $85m venture financing of Airlift Technologies by Bastian Lehmann,Biz Stone,Harry Stebbings,Indus Valley Capital,Jeffrey Katzenberg,Josh Buckley,Quiet Capital,Sam Altman,Simon Borrero,Stanley Tang,Steve Pagliuca and Taavet Hinrikus
5) Amarjit Singh Batra,Everblue Management,Kunal Shah,Nexus Venture Partners,Pawan Munjal,Positive Moves ConsultingLtd..,Shell Ventures,WestBridge Capital Partners and Yamaha Motor $52m venture financing deal with Roppen Transportation Services
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.