The DoubleTree by Hilton in downtown Boston faced a perilous situation on the night of 25 July 2023 as it was forced to evacuate all its guests due to a carbon monoxide leak from the hotel’s utility room.

Around 10pm, the Boston Fire Department received a call from the hotel, alerting them that the carbon monoxide alarm was going off. Carbon monoxide is an invisible and odourless gas produced when burning fuels such as gasoline or propane.

It can pose serious health risks and even lead to fatalities.

More than 500 guests evacuated

The hotel was fully booked with more than 500 guests occupying its 267 rooms. Fortunately, no reported injuries or illnesses resulted from the leak.

But on arrival, fire officials discovered high levels of carbon monoxide throughout the building, making a full evacuation necessary.

Quick and decisive action by the firefighters led them to identify the source of the leak – the utility room. They shut off power to the area, causing the carbon monoxide levels to decrease, and by midnight, guests were able to return to their rooms.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Uncertainty over future leak risks

But while normal operations have resumed, it remains uncertain whether the underlying cause of the carbon monoxide leak has been permanently fixed. The authorities are likely to conduct further investigations to ensure the safety of future occupants.

They emphasised the utmost importance of the safety and security of their guests, asserting that the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston-Downtown fully adheres to all applicable laws and building codes.